Photo as we pulled into the park.
Devil’s Tower was the first United States national monument, established on September 24, 1906, by President Theodore Roosevelt.
The name Devil’s Tower originated in 1875 during an expedition led by Colonel Richard Irving Dodge, when his interpreter reportedly misinterpreted a native name to mean “Bad God’s Tower”.
Native American names for the monolith include “Bear’s House” or “Bear’s Lodge”; Cheyenne, Lakota Matȟó Thípila, Crow Daxpitcheeaasáao “Home of Bears”), “Aloft on a Rock” (Kiowa), “Tree Rock”, “Great Gray Horn”, and “Brown Buffalo Horn” (Lakota Ptehé Ǧí).
We always called it Bear’s Lodge.